Saturday, August 11, 2007

Of Fabindia Organics, Probiotic curd and Hungry kya Dominoes Kha routine


Many a time, we need that abstract personal chaos to hit our life, at that precise moment, to figure out how we can cope up with our life kit. And despite many good things, it’s funny how providence actually challenges you to acknowledge just that. The way we live our life.

Preparing for a big wedding ain’t easy. The mad shopper that I am pulled many strings, found out early bird sales and moped about the house with those rare kanjeevarams. The boy was supportive, extremely understanding and totally complimenting the above mentioned sale trophies. The job was getting better, with mid term increment signs by the boss who finally rubbed a little sugar onto my designation. The new flat was signed on, the bills paid before hand. Honeymoon tickets worked upon and wedding cards punctuated with the right words. Those dainty gold stilettos aimed to dazzle the onlookers eye at the aisle, the sheerness of the saree pallu, resplendent in ivory and gold, the glitters on my hair, the diamonds on my throat totally matched to the glory of my saree. The boy’s suit looking radiant with just that Van Heusen touch, and the lipstick from Revlon just the exact shade that Halle Berry showed off on countless magazine covers. What can really get one riled up at this precise moment?

One thing I forgot about in this entire bargain was the slot marked “health”. Health, it’s just an aberration, how can health be on your life to-do list, they asked. Especially if you’re getting married to the right person, at the right time with the right clothes? I had a bad stomach upset, a minor lifestyle disease, a small inconsistency in the myriad jungle of health hazards. Just right before a wedding! Can you believe that?

And as I panted as if my heart had a hole when I was climbing every step of the few storeyed building, as I waited patiently for that nauseated feeling to go away, as I chanted the bible causing many a delirious notions, I finally realized the weight of happiness – health. Sometimes, in this long road called life, we get sidetracked into many small interests, shown in blown up movie theatres and advertisement billboards, as the way to lead to a healthy life. How many of us have seen “Organic food” mentioned in eco-narcisstic stores, probiotic curd billboards strewn across towns and brown bread Subway sandwiches? But what’s to be thought of and understood is “quality of life”. To us, quality of life seems to signify Esprit bags, endless trips to the Subway near home, iron shakti in your cornflakes and 30-mins for sure Dominoes Pizza. And we live, in traffic infested cities, breathing in more chemicals on our way to the organic Fabindia store, taking in more and more cheese in pastas and pizzas alike, living in total denial of health, companionship and time for ourselves. And do we even know the difference between organic and natural? What can a day in Ananda Spa, after a year of slogging give you – a friggin 5000 buck shield for life? Do you even have time to take a road trip you promised your friends that New Years eve? Do you get time to sleep, to fight, to understand your partners moods on that bright Sunday noon? Are you wasted – on cheap booze, snorting lines and hazaar cigarettes? Have you pursued your passion for fashion, guitar, salsa?

Quality of life, needs to be worked upon for sure!

I sum this up with a small sentence, the doctor said to me the other day. When he heard I am a journalist, he laughed, ever so slightly, enough to cause a tiny disturbance in my head. “You won’t change the world, please remember that. But you can take care of yourself, eat the right food at the right time, and stop burning your health on the altar of these high-flying stress filled jobs and in turn try to lead a better healthy life,” said he. Stress can really kill everything for you, and thanks to him, a month before my wedding, I’ve nailed the culprit.

And as far as quality of life is concerned, I rest my case.

-Blue Roses

No comments: